Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

I am so thankful for all the military and their sacrifices.  My husband was in the Navy for 20 years.  He was on the Lexington and the Enterprise when they were sunk.  Fortunately, he survived both. He still died young at 56. 

My son and I went about ten miles out to the cemetery and decorated my husband and my mother's graves.  There were flags, crosses and fields of beautiful flowers.  It led me to thinking about this day when I was a child.

It was called Decoration Day when I was little.  All the headstones stood up instead of being flat on the ground.  Every year my mother picked snowballs to decorate the graves with.  I was checking out what kind of flower it was considered and was amazed to find out it is one form of the Hydrangea.  The flowers were shaped like a perfect white ball, hence the name.  I doubt that my mom knew it was a hydrangea.

After we decorated the graves of people I didn't know, (they were all dead before I was born) we had a picnic right there in the cemetery.  Mama always had fried chicken, potato salad, with her homemade dressing, and pork and beans.  A big pitcher of lemonade and her famous Chocolate Potato Cake.  Yum!  As I look back I can't imagine why we didn't go to a park or someplace else, but it was always in front of the graves. 

I hope everyone remembers all those who have died in the wars, and respect and honor the men and women who are protecting our country.  It seems  to me that for too long, the military were considered second class citizens.  I think more people are thankful for them now and appreciate all they sacrifice for us.

God Bless America
Until next time,
Be kind to one another

No comments:

Post a Comment